Friday, September 7, 2007

A NEW ADDITION TO MY MENAGERIE

SEA OTTER

This little sea otter came to live at my house today, all the way from California. This photo really doesn't do him justice. The color of the waters swirling around him is actually a lovely shade of blue, his little tongue is shell pink and he has the most wonderful expression on his face! Yeah, he's a he, I just know it.

I thought I had better have a representation of my sea otter totem to join my dolphins figurine and my bluebird of happiness sitting on an acorn. The bluebird is a precious symbol to me and my sister, although we have never seen real bluebirds, because our Grandma had bluebird patterned china. Whenever we see some bluebird china in a shop, we draw a collective sigh of remembrance (and a little gasp at the prices). Each of us has just a tiny bit of bluebird china - for me, a teacup and saucer. I also gave my sis a little bluebird (pin) to sit on her collar.

As for the acorn, that is my remembrance of Daisy Lupin, who wrote about the mighty oak and about the protective powers of its acorns. One of these days I will try and take a photo of all of these creatures on my desk, but for now, in lieu of a digital camera, please enjoy my playful sea otter.

3 comments:

Carole Burant said...

That is such a beautiful figurine, I can't get over the details in it!! It's funny you should mention Daisy because yesterday I was going through some stuff and found an ornament that Daisy had sent me last Christmas...I just started to cry, I miss her so much. xox

Annie Jeffries said...

Your new addition looks very comfy in his new home and no doubt is ruling the roost over his new friends.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love it! I have to show my figurines one of these days, too!
Lovely Daisy! You surely are remembered alot and honor in our own human way ;-)