Tuesday, March 26, 2013

POEMS FOR DAN





 
STOP ALL THE CLOCKS
W. H. Auden
 
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
 
 
Kristen and I are having this read at Dan's funeral. (And when the time comes, ours.) We know we won't be able to read it ourselves on Thursday so the chaplain will probably read it.
 
I am still thinking of writing a eulogy. If I do, part of this poem will be included in it:
 
DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO
THAT GOOD NIGHT
by Dylan Thomas
 
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

 




13 comments:

Mary said...

I know Thursday will be a very sad day dear. I know you will try to be brave. Tears are allowed and some else should read those words to help you through the service honoring Dan.

Know you and Kristen are going to be in my thoughts...............

Warm hugs, Mary

Rose H (UK) said...

I can well imagine how Stop all the clocks must describe so well how you must be feeling my friend.
I wish I could be there to give you a little support.
Sending my love
Rose H
x

Rose H (UK) said...

Sorry, I forgot to say what a beautiful portrait.
X

Leanne said...

both lovely choices julie. still holding you in my thoughts Leanne x

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What lovely tributes to a fine man - I know this is hard for you - I appreciate your efforts to keep us informed. Hugs across the miles. know you are thought of often during the day and night.

ArtSings1946 said...

Oh, this has brought back memories and tears of sadness ... bittersweet memories of my dad. Thanks so much for sharing such beautiful words ... hope all of this helps you in your grief. So sorry for your loss.

Love always,
Jan

Kim Campbell said...

Do not go gentle into the night is one of my husband's favorite poems.

WOL said...

Holding you in my thoughts prayerfully.

Mary said...

Julie, I meant to tell you how lovely the photo is - Dan and Gracie together. You picked a perfect shot of such a handsome man with a friendly smile, and his sweet canine friend.

Bob and I are holding you close despite the distance.
Mary X

Shopgirl said...

Words, Words and more Words...none that will stop this loss, this pain. Only know that I care about you and I pray for you as you say this good-bye. Arney and I have been together 50 years in August, I have no world without him. Love, Mary

gma said...

Julie Something told me to stop in to see you today...it has been too long my ancestoral sister. So very sorry to hear about Dan. With my deep sympathy. LOVE gemma

Mary said...

Thinking of you each day Julie and hoping you are being kind to yourself. I know it must be so very hard without Dan close by.
Let us know how you are when you feel comfortable sharing your thoughts. We do care.

Sending hugs as always.
Mary X

Ruthie Redden said...

Dear Julie thinking of you and yours, much love Ruthie x x